- 1 packet nori squares
- 400g short-grain sushi rice
- wasabi paste
- 1 cucumber
- Place each square of nori flat onto a sushi rolling mat. (Sushi rolling mats are available from Asian supermarkets and larger supermarkets.)
- Place a layer of cooled sushi rice onto the seaweed wrap and gently press flat. (NB: don’t add too much rice or you will end up with very fat sushi rolls.)
- Place a dab of wasabi paste along the rice, according to taste. Wasabi is quite strong, so be sparing!
- Place a thin slice of salmon onto the rice.
- Spread the strips of cucumber onto the salmon and add a sprinkling of spring onion.
- Carefully roll the sushi up into a sausage shape and slice it into 3cm/1in long pieces, trimming the ends.
- Serve with bowls of soy sauce and extra wasabi.
Various versions have evolved over the years, sometimes by accident, sometimes on purpose (injected humour and the like).